If you are a regular reader of my blog you would know that I am really into healthy recipes and healthy eating. That doesn’t mean I am always perfect with my eating though. I still slip up now and then and eat naughty things but if I do, I at least make sure I enjoy them and make the slip up worthwhile!
Last night I tried a new recipe. It was so mind-blowingly delicious that I just have to share it with you. It is vegetarian (no meat!). It is not a recipe to cook on one of those days where you get home from work at 6pm and you need to quickly throw a meal together. This is a recipe for when you have a little more time up your sleeve.
EGGPLANT, TOMATO AND LEEK LASAGNE
Per Serve: 7.4g fat; 8.8g fibre; 911 kJ / 217 calories
3 medium (900g) eggplants
coarse cooking salt
1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 large (750g) tomatoes, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon low-fat margarine
2 medium (700g) leeks, chopped finely
2 tablespoons sugar
4 x 16cm x 30cm (200g) fresh lasagne sheets
1 cup (125g) grated low-fat cheddar cheese
What to do
- Cut eggplants lengthways into 1cm slices; place slices in colander, sprinkle with salt, stand for 30 minutes. Rinse slices under cold water; drain on absorbent paper.
- Cook eggplant, in batches, in heated oiled large pan until softened and browned on both sides.
- Cook onion and half the garlic in same pan, stirring, until onion softens.
- Stir in tomato, paste and basil; simmer uncovered for about 20 mins or until thickened slightly.
- Blend or process tomato mixture until just combined.
- Heat margarine in same pan. Add leek and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring, until leek is soft. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until leek is browned lightly.
- Cut 1 lasagne sheet to cover based of oiled deep 19cm-square (10-cup) ovenproof dish. Place in position.
- Top with 1/4 of the eggplant, 1/4 of the leek mixture, 1/4 of the tomato mixture and 1/4 of the cheese.
- Repeat layers 3 times, ending with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered in moderately hot oven for 50 minutes.
Can be made ahead to this stage. Cover, refrigerate until required. Reheat in moderate oven about 50 minutes.
Linking up today with Essentially Jess’s #IBOT