I have always loved to read. There is nothing as relaxing as escaping into another world. Cold rainy days curled up all snug with a book and a hot drink or sunny days by the pool with a cold drink – both are the ultimate of relaxation and bliss to me!
My reading taste has changed over the years as I’ve got older. When I was a child, my all time favourite was Enid Blighton books. As a young girl at school, I mostly read books that I selected (and my parents agreed to pay for) from the book club options that were offered through school. As as young women, I loved romance novels and stumbled onto Danielle Steel books and read just about all of them that came out in those days. They soon became a little predictable for me though so I moved on to all manner of other genres including crime, mystery, biographies.
Nowadays, I’ve enjoyed too many authors across many different genres to list, but some favourites that come to mind would be Tess Gerritson, Judy Nunn, Di Morrissey, Jodi Picoult, Patricia Cornwell….and there are many more!
Generally, I order my books through the Brisbane City Council’s on-line Library Catalogue (eLibCat) and when they are available at my local library I receive an email and I go and collect it/them. Note to self: Must get me a Kindle and start downloading my reading!!
Due to all the fanfare, my curiosity got the better of me and since the books were conveniently placed by the bucketloads near the checkouts at Coles (can you believe it?!), I recently read the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. Whilst a tad shocked
(oh.my.god!) by the first book (gulp), I actually did begin to grow fond of the characters and enjoyed the books, preferring books 2 & 3.
So now we come to my ‘secret new reading genres’. Some time ago, I ran out of books to read and ideas of what books to order. A girl I used to work with was into vampire type books and recommended the Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series, of the urban fantasy genre. I read them all and this sparked my interest on this genre and I have read lots of them – too many to list!
Another time when my reading pile was zilch, my daughter MissM offered me one of her books. I forget what it was at the time, but I really enjoyed it! So much, I read all the subsequent books in the series and there have been many more series by all different author’s in the young adult genre that I have read since. I now find myself secretly addicted and loving reading young adult science fiction and paranormal fantasy books!
The photo below shows the current books via MissM awaiting my reading pleasure.
1. The Host by Stephanie Meyers, the same author of the Twilight series. I have read this before but didn’t realise until I started reading it again. I’m happily reading it again now though, mainly because it is coming out as a film and I wanted to re-aquaint myself with the story. It is a great read! Click on here if you’d like to see the movie trailer.
2. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. A prequel to her ‘Mortal Instruments series’ of which there are six books. I haven’t read it yet, or the books listed at 3. and 4. below, so can’t tell you if it’s any good, but MissM says the whole series is awesome!
3. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. Book 2 of the ‘Mortal Instruments series’.
4. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Book 1 of the ‘Moral Instruments series’.
5. A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson.
So…as you can see I am open to reading many, many different genres and have now come out of the closet to reveal my secret new reading genres! 😉
Categories: General Mish Mash